GOAL ZERO is the gold standard for renewable and reliable power.
It started as a cause. Founder Robert Workman started the company out of a desire to help the people of the Democratic Republic of Congo to provide for themselves and their families. Today, GOAL ZERO powers and empowers stories of those with a passion for adventure, extending their journeys with an elite line of portable power systems.
Collect, Store, Use.
GOAL ZERO's products work together to power your adventures.
- Solar panels COLLECT the sun's energy.
- Portable rechargers STORE power for later.
- Ports and accessories USE power for life.
COLLECT - SOLAR PANELS
Wattage: What You Need To Know
GOAL ZERO offers two solar panel series: Nomad and Boulder. We describe the ability of our solar panels to collect solar energy in terms of watts. A 13-watt solar panel produces 13 watts of energy for every hour it’s in the sun. To charge a Sherpa 50 then, about 4 hours in the sun? Not quite. Due to clouds and the angle of the panel, double the expected charge time: 6-8 hours.
- Enough solar to charge as fast as the wall
- 30% smaller than comparable panels
- 14 times more powerful than closest competitor
- Nylon – lightweight, rugged and weather-resistant
- Pocket protects gear
- Available in 7 and 13 watt sizes
- AND WATER RESISTANT!
- Temporary or permanent installation
- Strong tempered glass with aluminum frame, rated for 20-year life
- Chain together for even more power
- Available in 15 or 30 watt sizes
STORE - THREE BATTERY TECHNOLOGIES
GOAL ZERO portable rechargers utilize three battery technologies to store the power collected by the solar panels.
NICKEL METAL HYDRIDE
Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH): Guide 10 Plus
- Environmentally friendly
- Long lasting, superior to alkaline and NiCd
- Can be discharged hundreds of times
- Large capacity for longer device operation
- Compatible with lots of electronics
Lithium Ion: Switch 8, Sherpa 50
- Stores more energy
- Smaller and lightweight
- Great for portability
- Retain their charge even after months of storage
Lead acid: Escape 150, Extreme 350, Yeti 1250
- Robust power
- Stands up to use/abuse
- Reliable, tried and true
GOAL ZERO products are defined in one common language – watts.
Example: Sherpa 50 stores 50 watt hours of power. This means it will power a 50 watt light bulb for
1 hour, a 25 watt bulb for 2 hours, or charge an iPhone (which stores 5 watt hours of power) 10 times
from empty to full.
Use this chart to determine the right size portable recharger for your needs.
GOAL ZERO PRODUCT CLASSES
GOAL ZERO offers several product classes that match your needs.
Never slow down, with enough power for all your customers' handheld devices. For the communicators, the agile explorers of cities, wilderness and anywhere in between. This package includes...
The new Switch 8 portable recharger is part of the Ultra-Light class. This product:
- Powers your phone, iPad, GPS and more
- Charge cordless battery from the sun or USB source
- Can be personalized with interchangeable tips
- AND WATER RESISTANT!
This system is ideal for day trips where space and weight is at a premium.
GUIDE 10 PLUS
Our Ultra-Light product class also includes the Guide 10 Plus portable recharger. This product:
- Stores power for charging devices day or night
- Charges AA/AAA batteries for use in remotes, headlamps and other devices
- Recharges from solar or any USB source
- Features a built-in LED flashlight that runs up to 150 hours per charge
This system is ideal for short weekend trips where space and weight is at a premium.
Go farther, with enough power for mobile work and play. For the travelers, the working nomads and the explorers who venture off the grid.
The Sherpa 50 offers everything adventurers need for backcountry power. It stores 50 watt hours of power, ideal for charging electronics during outdoor adventures or long travel days. Other benefits include:
- Small and lightweight (less than a pound, easy to carry in a backpack)
- Charge laptops, cameras, DVD players
- Compatible with USB and 12V car outlets (AC available with inverter)
- AND WEATHER RESISTANT!
Stand your ground with enough power for back-up, cabins and life. For the trailblazers, the pioneers and guardians living on the land and off the grid. This package includes the following...
The Escape 150 portable recharger is part of the Utility class. It offers:
- 150 watt hours of power for playing off-grid or during an outage
- Power for phones, lights, laptops and camera batteries for hours
- A built-in AC outlet so customer can plug into it, just like a wall outlet
- The ability to charge from the wall, solar or 12V (car adapter)
- Easy to carry and use design, with an ergonomic handle
GUARDIAN CHARGE CONTROLLER
Utility products also include the Guardian Charge Controller. Benefits include:
- Trickle charge, recharge, maintain 12V batteries
- Keep batteries healthy
- Use self-sustaining, free source of power
The Extreme 350 portable recharger, part of the Utility class, offers many advantages:
- Perfect for base camps, summer cabins, or outages
- Charge any device: USB, 12V and AC outputs
- Power laptop for 10 hours, cell phones for 350+ hours, recharge a tablet fifteen times
- Chain up to four together for 1400 watt hours of power
The GOAL ZERO Yeti 1250 is designed to power anything from a cell phone to full-sized refrigerator, and it offers the most power in the GOAL ZERO product line. It provides:
- Power for lights, tools and appliances
- Silent and safe operation, no noise or fumes
- No cords coming from the outside for safe indoor use
- Chainable with other portable rechargers for additional power
- Power from the sun, wall outlet or car
USE, COMPARISON CHART
GOAL ZERO portable rechargers can power your devices in four ways: AC, 12V car outlet, USB and AA/AAA batteries. Check out the comparison chart to see which models are compatible with each of these methods and how they stack up against each other. Use this chart to help match the right kit for your needs.
- How long is your trip? What devices do you need to power?
- Which product class best describes you? Ultra-Light, Endurance or Utility?
- Will you use a solar panel/wall outlet/car outlet to charge your portable recharger?
- How will you use your GOAL ZERO kit? For backpacking? To power a cabin?
These products will free you from the binding chains of a dead battery. Keep exploring longer with these amazing products.
Find everything you're looking for and more at GoalZero.com
Please leave a comment below if this article was helpful and let us know if you have any questions.
Thanks for reading and keep it steezy.